QUESTIONS FOR CH3- DAILY AND SEASONAL TEMPERATURES
- what causes the seasons?
- what does the earth's orbit look like?
- when is the earth closest and furthest
from the sun?
- what two factors primarily determine the
amount of solar radiation reaching the surface?
- how does the atmosphere deplete incoming
radiation? How does this depend on the sun angle?
- how are the astronomical seasons
- why do seasonal temperatures lag behind
the astronomical seasons?
- how does the southern hemisphere average
temperature versus time of the year plot differ from the
N. hemisphere plot? What are the reason for the
- what does the earth's global energy
balance look like? what acts to redistribute the heat?
- what is the boundary layer and typically
how deep is it?
- what does the diurnal temperature
variation look like? How is this variation related to the
surface radiation budget?
- what are other factors affecting the
- how is a radiation inversion formed?
- what helps to create strong radiation
- how do drainage flows form? why do farmers
plant mid-way up a hill and not in the valley?
- what are common crop-protecting methods
- what factors control the larger-scale
temperature distribution and how do they do it?
- how are heating and cooling-degree days
- what is the wind chill temp?
- what are the different types of
thermometers used in meteorology?
- why is temperature not measured at ground
level, but typically 2 meters above the ground?
08/16/04 07:36 PM